On this page, you will find all the information you need to prepare for E Pluribus Flutum.
Click on the links below to download music, schematics and tips. Scroll down for music, documentation, mp3’s and instructional videos for each of the four movements of the piece.
E Pluribus Flutum has 4 movements, and is about 10 minutes long. The performers are divided into 4 groups (Red, Green, Blue and Yellow).
- Come, Follow is performed from memory, with extensive movement.
- Hole in the Wall is performed from memory, with extensive movement.
- Peace is the Way is performed with music, two people to a stand. The staging is very simple, and is detailed in the parts, as well as in the video below.
- Clowning Around is performed with music by the Blue and Yellow groups. The Green and Red groups will be doing simple movement without playing.
Come, Follow documents
- Come, Follow c flute
- Come, Follow alto flute
- Come, Follow schematic (Make sure you read this: it’s a guide to repetitions, and how all 4 groups work together)
- NOTE: Come, Follow must be memorized, and the moves must be learned using the videos below.
Come, Follow instructional videos (Click on links below for demonstrations of all the moves. The first videos detail each small section. The “practice reels” will help you put it all together. The “NYC Performance” will give you an idea of what it looks like when 26 people perform it.)
- A part
- B&C parts
- D1 & D2
- D3: the Clock
- Coda & Notes
- Red Group practice reel
- Yellow Group practice reel
- Green Group practice reel
- Blue Group practice reel
- NYC Performance
Hole in the Wall documents
- Hole in the Wall : mp3
- Hole in the Wall c flutes 1&2
- Hole in the Wall c flute 3
- Hole in the Wall flute 4 (c flute and alto flute)
- NOTE: Hole in the Wall will be repeated at least 3 times, actual number of repeats TBD on site. During the second and following repeats, please feel free to ad lib 8va and ornaments. It must be memorized.
- MOVEMENT: will just be walking half-note beats. You may start on either foot.
Hole in the Wall instructional videos
- Hole in the Wall A part
- Hole in the Wall B part
- Hole in the Wall complete run
- Hole in the Wall for 4 performers
- Hole in the Wall for 8 performers
Peace is the Way
- Peace is the Way Instructional Video
- Katherine Hoover’s “Peace is the Way” is available from Theodore Presser. (Theodore Presser Company is the distributor for Papagena Press.)
- For performers at MidAtlantic 2020, download parts:
Clowning Around documents
- Clowning Around schematic: a bar-by-bar description of the action, and of who will do what. Very important for the Red and Green groups!
- NOTE: Clowning Around will be performed with music by the Blue and Yellow groups. Red and Green need to memorize bars 107-110 with pickup. Other than bars 107-110, Red and Green will be clowning around, not playing the flute.
- Katherine Hoover’s new “Clowning Around” will be available from Theodore Presser in January, 2012.
- For performers at MidAtlantic 2020, download parts and study mp3 here:
Clowning Around videos